Friday, November 19, 2010

Review -- River of Gods by Ian McDonald

Ian McDonald’s River of Gods is a huge science fiction novel because of the scope of its plot and the number of characters in it. Of course the question is, is it worth your time? Well considering the number of awards it won and was nominated for, the answer is likely yes, though it may not be for everybody. Read on after the break to find out more.
My reaction to River of Gods was mixed. I read it for a class a while ago because I was trying to find examples of science fiction that dealt with post-colonial issues. Clearly, since the novel is set in near-future India, it qualified, but it ended up not working out for my essay. Still I got the opportunity to read a challenging science fiction novel.
The setting alone set the novel apart from a lot of the other books I've read. It's what drew me to it in the first place. Instead of distant planets or made-up worlds, it's set in a balkanized India in the year 2047. Fascinating stuff. Instead of a unified country, India has become a collection of many different little states, each with their own rivalries. If the reader knows anything about the history of India, they’ll realize that what McDonald speculates is not terribly far-fetched.
Most of the action takes place in the state of Bharat, country with a mixture of modern technology and old traditions. People still revere the ancient Ganges river, but at the same time are addicted to the soap-opera, or soapi, called Town & Country — a show populated with Artificial Intelligences (aeais) actors. McDonald’s world building continually impressed me throughout.
Now onto the characters and plot. This is where things get a little complicated, and the reason for my mixed reactions about the book. There are so many different characters, terms, locations, and plot points that it can all get a little confusing. Make no mistake, this is a dense book. You won’t be able to breeze through it in an afternoon. The story's density made it hard to fully immerse myself in it because I was having to juggle so many things in my head.
The characters themselves are varied, and all of them have a distinctive feel. There is an executive at one of Bharat’s top energy producers, a nute (a gender neutral individual with augmented and nervous system complete with inputs and controls), and a politician with a dark secret, to name a few. All of their stories tie together in the end but again, in the beginning it can be a challenge to keep everything straight or see the bigger picture.
But believe me when I say there is a bigger picture! It all leads back to the Tabernacle, an 8 billion year old artifact discovered on an asteroid. Aeais, nutes, Krishna cops, politicians all swirl around inside the plot to try and figure out what exactly the Tabernacle is and what it is trying to communicate. The fact that the reader has to work so hard to get into the book and understand it might turn off some before they get to the end. Stick with it though. The ending left me satisfied but rubbing my sore brain.
I recommend this book to those brave enough to plumb its depths or to those looking for a sci-fi novel with a non-traditional setting. If you're looking for a fun, easy-going romp, you might want to look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment